(side note - Blogger is formatting this post really wacky. I can't make my totals lien up straight. Sorry!)
These are 10 items from my own grocery list this week. I compared the prices at Homeland to those at Walmart. Not everyone has a Homeland, but you can assume that their prices are similar to your local, non-discount grocer. Homeland doubles coupons up to $1, so remember that in the total below.
I also included Walmart generic brand price when available. I have heard many people say, "It's just cheaper to buy generic than to use coupons." Well let's see....
Walmart Total $20.93
Walmart Total Substituting 4 Generic items $18.70
Walmart Total with Coupons $17.06
Homeland Total Regular Price $27.01
Homeland Total with Sale Prices (no coupons) $18.54
Homeland Total with Sale and Coupons Doubled $11.55
I saved 45% by shopping at Homeland over Walmart regular prices!
A Few Notes and Disclaimers:
- Totals are pretax, but I shopped at 2 stores that have the same tax rate.
- Walmart store pricing varies greatly by region, these were what I found at my local store.
- My beef coupon was not valid at Walmart, only Homeland.
So....What can we learn from this?
Please share this data with others! I would be happy to share my spreadsheet with you if you would like to see individual item pricing. Just ask!
- Even if you don't use coupons, you can still save more money shopping hot sales at your retail grocer than at Walmart.
- If something isn't on sale and you don't have a coupon, better head to Walmart or other discount grocer if you really need it right now.
- It PAYS to use coupons!!!!